First Wesleyan Church fire causes more than $100K in damage

Firefighters put out a blaze at the First Wesleyan Church Tuesday. (Photo: WJLA

A 2-alarm Oxon Hill church fire Tuesday morning caused more than $100,000 in damage.

Firefighters went to the First Wesleyan Church in the 1800 block of Iverson Street at about 7:30 a.m. The fire, which damaged parts of the church’s interior and its roof, was put out within about 30 minutes.

No one was hurt in the blaze.

When firefighters arrived they confronted a wall of fire. The raging fire tore through the church in minutes - but some congregants say it will take a long time to recover from the loss.

“It's a wrenching pain,” says parishioner Junor Milne.

While investigators combed through the debris members of the congregation reflected on the church and pondered what might have sparked the inferno.

“It's sad it is sad it is very disturbing and when I heard about it I had to come out and see it for myself,” says parishioner Wendy Weeks.

The church pastor says there have never been any problems before. No vandalism or conflicts with neighbors.

While some suspect the fire is electrical in nature, investigators spotted two specific hot spots.

“Two totally different separate parts of the church could be considered a point of origin. And any time that occurs it's a red flag for fire investigators,” says Mark Brady, spokesperson Prince George's Fire Department.

Authorities say they don't believe the cause of the fire is suspicious but an investigation into the fire continues.