Mount Rainier house destroyed in fire
Nine people and one dog were rescued from Mount Rainier house that caught fire early Tuesday morning, but two people were hospitalized and a second dog died.
Only charred remains were left of the house.
“It’s hard. It’s real hard. We were here for 23 years. And now, it’s just… everything is gone,” said the homeowners cousin, Cathleen Tate. Her parents, who were in the house when the fire started, were taken to the hospital as a precaution.
“My dad is okay, he’s acting like nothing is wrong,” Tate said. “My mom, she was out of it.”
Two homes directly adjacent to the home were damaged because of high heat. The total number of people displaced due to the fire and damage to adjoining homes stands at 13.
A firefighter also suffered a medical episode at the scene of the fire in the 3200 block of Otis Street. It is unknown whether the firefighter's medical problem was related to the fire.
Officials say that the fire is believed to have started in the living room. It’s believed an electrical issue ignited the fire.
Homeowners say they’ve been dealing with sparking wires for weeks and have already had one small fire.
“After that, they came out and fixed the transmitter and then at 5 o’clock this morning, this happened,” Samantha Abell said.