COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) - Several more national retailers have joined Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in pulling a batch of powdered infant formula from their shelves after a Missouri newborn who consumed it apparently died of a rare bacterial infection.
Officials at Supervalu Inc., Walgreen Co., Kroger Co. and Safeway said Friday they have removed cans of Enfamil Newborn with the lot number ZP1K7G from various stores across the country.
They say it's a precaution until health officials complete tests on the formula.
Ten-day-old Avery Cornett died Sunday after getting sick several days earlier.
Preliminary hospital tests indicated he died of a rare infection caused by bacteria known as Cronobacter sakazakii.
The source of the bacteria that caused the infection hasn't been determined, but it can be found in dried milk and powdered formula.