District man receives 28-year sentence in June death of taxi driver

WASHINGTON,D.C. (WJLA) -A District man received a 28-year sentence on charges related to the fatal shooting of a taxicab driver and a subsequent gun fire exchange with police, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen, Jr. said in a press release.

Ercell D. Overton, 33, pleaded guilty in February to one count of second-degree murder while armed for the slaying of 59-year-old{ } taxi driver Solomon J. Okoroh. He also pleaded guilty to two counts of felony assault on a police officer while armed.

The plea agreement was approved by Superior Court of the District of Columbia Judge Russell F. Canan who also handed down the sentence.
Overton also received five years’ probation.

Investigations in the case said three District police officers were in a patrol car in the Adams Morgan area at{ } 3 a.m. on June 4, 2013, when they heard the sound of a single gunshot.

Moments later they saw a Ford Explorer, "Classic Cab" taxi speed past them and a muzzle flash, then{ } the sound of a second gunshot from inside the Ford.

The taxicab headed south in the 2300 block of Ontario Road NW, where it crashed into a parked car.
That’s when an unarmed man fled from the rear passenger side of the taxi. That person was apprehended by two of the officers after a brief foot chase.

Overton then appeared behind the police vehicle and pointed a pistol toward the third officer, who was at the driver's wheel.

That officer exited the vehicle and took cover before Overton ran behind the fence line of a house in the 2300 block of Ontario Road NW and discharged his weapon in the direction of two of the three police officers, who returned fire.

Overton then forced his way into a basement apartment on the block, but was apprehended{ } by the officers.{ } Police sid they recovered a semi-automatic pistol in close proximity to Overton.

The victim in the case, Okoroh of Glenarden, Md suffered two fatal gunshot wounds to his back. He was taken to a hospital, where he died about two hours after the shooting.

Prior to his death, he provided detectives assigned to the case a physical description of his assailant, which matched that of Overton.