D.C. power outage closures: Government offices set to reopen Friday
D.C. government buildings that were closed due to a power outage in Northwest D.C. are set to reopen Friday. Meanwhile, Pepco said power had been restored to a residential building where many seniors and families live.
The D.C. Community College, Department of Health and the D.C. Housing Authority are among the agencies along North Capitol, First and K streets Northeast that will reopen.
Pepco has restored power to the Sibley Plaza Apartments, a senior and family residential building at 1140 North Capitol St., NW, the company said.
The outage was caused by blown fuses and happened while Pepco crews were performing repairs and testing along North Capitol Street, according to Pepco. The blown fuses have been replaced.
Pepco crews will continue to work on permanent repairs to the underground network, the company said. A number of side streets will be closed during construction.
Food stamp replacements to be offered for spoiled goods
The Department of Human Services will be on-site at the Walker-Jones Education Campus, 1125 New Jersey Avenue NW, until close of business Friday to accept replacement-food-stamp applications for customers who experienced food loss due to the power outage, the mayor’s office stated. Applicants must bring proof of residence and estimate the value of food lost due to the power outage.
The UHC Walker Jones Health Center at 40 Patterson Street NE was closed, and Walker Mill Middle School in Capitol Heights was also without power and operated on a half-day schedule Thursday.
In Prince George's County, Buck Lodge Middle School and Bradbury Heights Elementary School held classes at alternate locations Thursday because of inadequate air conditioning on campus.
The affected government buildings now set to reopen are:
- Community College of the District of Columbia at 801 North Capitol Street NE
- Office of the State Superintendent of Education, Department of Health Care Finance and the Department of Health, 899 North Capitol Street NE
- D.C. Housing Authority at 1133 North Capitol Street NE
- Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking at 810 1st Street NE
- District Department of the Environment, D.C. Public Schools central office, Department of Health at 1200-1300 1st Street NE
- Department of Human Services, 33 N Street NE
- Department of Mental Health Clinic at 35 K Street NE