Chevy Chase water main break could take days to repair

Water restrictions remain in place as crews continue to repair a ruptured water main in Chevy Chase.

Crews spent Thursday welding a new section of pipe into place. Officials say it will be several more days before their work is complete.

While they work, a northbound lane of Connecticut Avenue between Dunlop Street and Manor Road will remain closed.

The water main, which broke Monday night, was installed in 1980 and is the sort of pipe the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission has had a problem with for years. Engineers blame premature corrosion for the break. Crews warn it could be anywhere from 30 to 45 days before they know the exact cause.

A close look shows the break and the condition of the pipe, but the real site is a small crater.

And as crews work in the big hold, pulling out broken pipe and then replacing them with new pieces, the area of upper Chevy Chase is still trying to recover from Tuesday when the break caused a power outage and interruption of gas service to businesses and homes.

It was also a day of getting organized and back to business at Capitol Pediatrics. They had to cancel over 100 appointments Tuesday because there was no water, heat or electricity in the building.

Tavira Restaurant lost a day of business Tuesday ad even though the power and water are now back on, they have no customers. Trying to get them through the obstacle course of construction equipment and lane closures on Connecticut Avenue is difficult.

“You have to make a U-turn on Connecticut Avenue and then go past the fire department and it’s one lane. It’s difficult,” says Duarte Rebolo, the owner of Tavira Restaurant.

Until repairs are complete, WSSC advises customers to:

• Use water only as necessary – i.e., shorter showers and turn off faucets after washing hands and while brushing teeth
• Limit flushing toilets (do not flush after every use)
• Put off washing clothes if possible
• Limit the use of dishwashers and wash only full loads