Bladensburg high rise fire displaces 16, injures two

The blaze broke out on the 10th floor of a highrise. (Photo: Jim Davis/PGFD)

Two people were slightly injured and eight families were displaced by a fire in Bladensburg late Friday night that broke out in an apartment on the top floor of a high rise apartment building.

Firefighters responded to the Phoenix Apartments building at 5800 Annapolis Road just before midnight to find a fire, preliminarily attributed to unattended cooking in a unit, burning on the 10th floor. More than 60 firefighters worked into Saturday morning to extinguish the fire.

Fire damage was limited to the unit in which the flames broke out, but three other apartments sustained heat, smoke and water damage. 14 adults and two children were displaced due to the damage, which officials say is valued at about $85,000.

Two people suffered heat-related illness and exhaustion and were treated on the scene.