Anne Arundel Medical Center fire quickly extinguished

Fifteen moms and their babies were evacuated from Anne Arundel Medical Center Monday evening after a utility closet caught fire.

Fire crews received a call about the odor of smoke on the third floor of the Anne Arundel Medical Center's Clatanoff Pavilion on the Mother/Baby Unit at 6 p.m. Firefighters discovered the source of the fire in an utility closet.{ }

The Anne Arundel Fire Department says an appliance in the closet was on fire.

The fire was quickly extinguished, but smoke remained on the floor.

The moms and their newborns were taken to another part of the hospital to receive care. Laboring women on the second floor were also transferred to another portion of the medical center. Anne Arundel Medical Center spokeswoman Kelly Swan said 10 patients were moved from the pavilion's first floor because of the smoke odor.

No one was injured.

{ }