Alexis Simpson arrested in Bowie State stabbing

Alexis Simpson, the student accused of killing her roommate.

Maryland State Police have charged 19-year-old Alexis D. Simpson with first-degree murder in the stabbing death of Dominique Frazier at Bowie State University on Thursday night, police say.

Simpson is being held at the Prince George's Detention Center without bond. She turned herself in to Prince George's County Police at about midnight after authorities believe she left campus after the assault.

“I didn’t mean to do it,” Simpson replied after the stabbing, according to charging documents. “You all don’t know what I’ve been thru (sic). You all jumped me.”

Authorities say Frazier, 18, of Washington, D.C., was fatally stabbed Thursday around 8 p.m. in the Christa McAuliffe Residential Community on campus, the school and police say.

Frazier's mother says her daughter had complained about friction with her roommate. Frazier told her mother that she and suspect Simpson argued over roommate related issues since they moved in together on August 26th.

"I miss my baby," Denise Frazier said. "She was everything to me. Everything. She's all that I had."

Denise Frazier says authorities told her early Friday morning that her daughter had been stabbed with a scissors because of a disagreement over how loud an iPod was being played.

"Her friends were telling me that her roommate started banging on the door calling her... calling her this and that--banging so much that when a friend opened up the door she attacked my daughter and stabbed my daughter in the neck," Denise Frazier said.

Frazier was a sophomore at Bowie State University. She attended Friendship Collegiate School in the District. She was to turn 19 on Sunday.

In a tweet sent Sept. 13, Simpson stated: "I should of stabbed his ass the other day... " It was unclear what it was a reference to.

Bowie State, which is celebrating Homecoming this week, has canceled all Friday classes while the investigation continues. A memorial will be held for Frazier at noon.

Maryland State Police have obtained a search warrant for the on-campus suite that Frazier and Simpson shared with two other students. The suite is being processed for evidence.

Greg Shipley, spokesman for Maryland State Police, added that police do not know what the victim was stabbed with. He also addressed rumors that the suspect and victim may have been fighting over an iPod; a rumor authorities are also checking into.

At about midnight, police say Frazier's roommate, Simpson, of District Heights, turned herself in to Prince George's County police. She is now in Maryland State Police custody, authorities say.

A preliminary investigation revealed that Frazier and the suspect were arguing in their suite when that escalated into a physical fight. Frazier was stabbed in the neck at least once, police say.

“I heard a bunch of girls screaming, I walked out into the hallway, went to the left, and I saw this girl, she was sitting on the floor, she was (covered) in blood,” said Donovan Settles, who was visiting friends at the school. He said when he saw the girl, the left side of her body was covered in blood.

{ }

University police officers found Frazier lying in the hallway, unconscious and bleeding from the upper torso. She was taken to a hospital, where she was later pronounced dead just before 9 p.m.

"This kind of senseless violence is difficult to understand," the university said in a statement. The school says grief counselors will be on hand to be of assistance to students and staff.

No other injuries were reported. The school will hold a gathering for students in the Leonidas James Physical Education Complex at noon, and all daytime Homecoming activities have been postponed for Friday.

The dorm was placed on lockdown as police canvassed the campus. Emergency texts from campus security asked students to be vigilant, saying “if you saw someone running on the second floor you are asked to contact police.” But police have since deemed the campus safe, citing that there is “ no continued threat.”

“For a campus like this, a school, a city like this, it’s not normal at all to hear something like that happening,” said Darren Smith, a sophomore at the university.

Maryland State Police have taken over the homicide investigation, and authorities are continuing to interview witnesses. Some students who reside in the residence hall where the stabbing took place have been temporarily relocated.

Frazier's body will be transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore for an autopsy.

{ }

(Students express grief on Bowie State's campus. Photo:ABC7)