Air Jordan madness hits local malls

A shoe store damaged at a Prince George's County mall. (Photo courtesy JSmoov024)

It's a case of shopping madness for hundreds who want the newest Air Jordan shoes.

At 5 a.m., police were called to the St. Charles Town Center after hundreds of people forced their way inside three of the mall's entrances to be among the first in line to purchase the new Air Jordan Retro Concord shoes, scheduled to go on sale at 6 a.m.

Once inside, several fights broke out as customers jockeyed for position in line. No customers were injured but an officer injured his hand while making an arrest.

In all, four juveniles and two adults were arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and assault.

Earlier this morning, hundreds of people were turned away from the Westfield Annapolis Mall after customers gathered to buy Air Jordans.

Security called local police after a crowd of about 200 wouldn’t return to their vehicles. The crowd ballooned to about 500 by 5:30 a.m.

Mall management decided that the stores pre-selling the sneakers had to cancel the event. The crowd left but police arrested two people.

Police arrested Leah Danielle Garrison, 19, of Philadelphia, and her boyfriend, Cameron Demarco Gilbert, 19, of Mitchellville, Maryland.

Garrison was charged with trespassing and Gilbert was charged with obstructing and resisting arrest

The release of Nike's new Air Jordan basketball shoes caused a frenzy at stores across the nation Friday as scuffles broke out and police were brought in to stamp out unrest that nearly turned into riots in some places.

Shoppers stood in long lines through the night to get their hands on a retro version of one of the most popular models of Air Jordans ever made.

The fights were reminiscent of violence that broke out in the early 1990s on streets across America as the shoes became popular targets for thieves.

In suburban Seattle, police used pepper spray on about 20 customers who started fighting at the Westfield Southcenter mall.

The crowd started gathering at four stores in the mall around midnight and had grown to more than 1,000 people by 4 a.m., when the stores opened, Tukwila Officer Mike Murphy said.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.