(WJLA) -- Forty-one rabbits rescued from a house fire in New Carrolton in Prince George's County, Md. recently are hoping they will find new owners soon.
Prince George's County said Wednesday that the rabbits were all rescued from a fire in their previous owner's home. The county said the resident was awakened from an afternoon nap to the sights and smells of smoke in his single-family home, located in the 6600 block of Adrian Street.
Firefighters responded quickly to the scene and fought a fire that had broken out in the basement. Fire investigators later said they believe a burning log in the basement's fireplace shifted and fell out, igniting combustible objects nearby.
The home did not have a working smoke alarm, officials said.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, after which they discovered "numerous pets," including the 41 rabbits. Damage from the fire was estimated at $20,000.
The homeowner escaped from the house prior to the fire department's arrival and sought shelter at a neighbor's house. He is currently displaced and has been assisted by the county with temporary shelter.
Officers from the County Animal Management Division reported to the scene and collected the 41 rabbits that survived the fire.
As the homeowner has no place to maintain his pets, officials said he relinquished ownership of the rabbits so that animal management officials can seek new homes for the pets.
Officials quickly started spreading the word about the 41 rabbits that are now up for adoption.
"Rabbits galore!" one animal management official said. "We've just received a huge delivery of bunny rabbits that need homes."
Officials said the adoption fee per rabbit has been discounted to just $30, which includes spaying or neutering.
"Consider this fur-ever pet as an alternative to a cat or dog, but please be aware that they need a commitment from you for their lifetime, not just a trendy thing to get the kids for Easter," officials added.
For additional information on how to adopt one of these rabbits, call the Prince George's County Animal Shelter at 301-780-7201.