ST. MARY'S COUNTY, Md. (WJLA) - A Lexington Park family of six is displaced after a 3-year-old child accidentally set fire to the home Wednesday.
According to St. Mary's County fire officials, firefighters were called to the home around 11:30 a.m. Wednesday for a report of a fire in the two-story home, located in the 21000 block of Hancock Road.
Officials said it appears the fire broke out in the master bedroom after a 3-year-old child was playing with a lighter on the bed, which the child admitted to.
One parent and five children in total were displaced from the home. There were no injuries reported.
According to a report, it took 25 firefighters approximately five minutes to put out the fire.
Damage is estimated at $20,000 to the home and $10,000 worth of possessions inside the home.
The Red Cross is reportedly assisting the family.