MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

3 injured in propane tank explosion in Olney

Propane tank (WJLA Photo)

OLNEY, Md. (WJLA) - Three members of the Olney family were taken to the hospital on Memorial Day after they were burned by fire from a propane tank.

It happened around 4 p.m Monday in the backyard of a townhome on Bantry Way in the Town Centre Place neighborhood.

Family members said the propane tank was near charcoal and the heat built up pressure inside the tank. That pressure caused flames to burst from it.

"I didn't know what was going to happen," Richard Vasquez, who was burned on various parts of his body, told ABC7 in Spanish.

Vasquez said he had been grilling meat before the fire started.

His son Yariel said he was sitting in a plastic chair very close to the grill where the propane tank was located. The flames burned his face.

"The fire was going in my face," Yariel said. "And I just stayed there...like it was a dream. And then when it finished, I thought my face was all black, burned. And then when I saw myself, my eyebrows were gone...I got hurt everywhere."

Montgomery County firefighters responded to the scene. Yariel, Richard, and Yariel's aunt were all taken to the hospital.

Late Monday night they were all released and returned home.

Trending

LOADING