Catholic University students help save woman from attacker

Two Catholic University students are being hailed as heroes after they were in the right place, at the right time. Their bravery may have saved a woman's life.

It all started with an attack not{ } far from the university in Northeast Washington.

"I was sitting in the living room, I had just got home from class and I heard someone screaming outside, 'Help me, help me,'" said Catholic University senior Nina Curto.

Curto's roommate Kerstein Anderson, also a senior, was pulling up outside their home on Otis Street when she heard the screams too.

"In the shadows I saw something moving..." Curto recalled. "Someone was on top of a girl. I didn't know it was a girl at first, but he was beating her and pulling [her] up the hill."

Anderson added, "...we didn't know what he was about to do. He was just dragging her."

D.C. police said the victim was a 26-year-old woman who was walking home from the Brookland Metro station when a man groped her from behind. She got away, but once she got to 14th Street, the man knocked her to the ground, police explained.

"When we went over to the scene, he was straddling her and punching her in her ribs on both sides...," Curto added.

The students said they screamed stop.

"When we got to her, she had dirt all over her face, her clothing was all ripped and she was not in good condition whatsoever," Curto continued.

The two got the woman inside their home when Curto said she noticed a man stumbling around outside. She asked the victim if it was her attacker.

Curto said, "She took her broken glasses and put them up to her eyes, and all of a sudden, she got really emotional and said yes that it is him."

Curto said she walked outside, and the man, who she said appeared to be drunk, simply sat down. Police arrived at the same moment, and he was arrested.

"I am still having flashbacks after seeing this," Curto said. "I mean it was scary."

Sources say a 22-year-old man was arrested in the case.

On a side note, the victim's brother arrived to the scene immediately, because the victim managed to press send on her cell phone during the attack. He had to standby and listen to the beating and to the man threatening his sister.