Soy sauce overdose puts teen in coma

AP Photo

Drinking an entire quart of soy sauce sounds disgusting, but it's also life-threatening. According to a new report in the Journal of Emergency Medicine, a 19-year-old downed the condiment during a dare. By the time he was taken to the University of Virginia Medical Center, he was already in a coma. The teen suffered from hypernatremia, which is an excessive amount of salt in the blood stream. He was in a coma for three days.

According to an article in Discovery News, there are many "firsts" related to this case. Not only is the teen the first person known to deliberately overdose on salt and survive, but he also suffered no lasting brain problems.

Dr. David J. Carlberg helped treat the teenager the night he came in because of the overdose. He says the emergency team's quick response and determination to get his sodium levels down is likely the reason he's back to normal.

Dr. Carlberg now works at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C.