Environmental toxin questioned as cause of cancer in Northeast
(WJLA) - A small group with a huge fear: pancreatic cancer.
When Vivienne Rouson died at age 83 in Northeast, those who lived nearby mourned, but did not worry. Then, her much younger neighbors started to die from the same illness. There were six cases on pancreatic cancer within a few blocks in a year-and-a-half, and some here are starting to wonder whether an environmental toxin is the cause.
A group of citizens asked various agencies for help, and on Monday night, two reps from the city came to talk about grants for healthy homes – but they offered no information about the apparent cancer cluster.
Residents of this tiny neighborhood called Stronghold say they have heard from the EPA and D.C. Water, but so far, nothing from the D.C. Department of Health.