MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

D.C. rec center employees treated for carbon monoxide poisoning

The employees were exposed to the carbon monoxide at the Hardy Recreation Center in the 4500 block of Q Street, NW and are now undergoing tests in Virginia. (ABC7)

Two employees of a D.C. rec center are in the hospital after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide.

The employees were exposed to the carbon monoxide at the Hardy Recreation Center in the 4500 block of Q Street, NW and are now undergoing tests in Virginia.

A maintenance worker discovered the carbon monoxide leak Tuesday morning after finding that a broken heating place was the reason for a heating problem the center has been having for several weeks.

After finding the problem, the worker called a supervisor and the process to close to rec center was started. The center was closed both Tuesday and Wednesday.

By Wednesday afternoon, a new heating center was installed.

In light of the situation at Hardy Recreation Center, D.C.'s Department of General Services said they are also installing carbon monoxide detectors in all of D.C.'s rec centers, which is about 80 overall.

It's not clear if any children were exposed to the carbon monoxide at Hardy Recreation Center or if any parents have been notified that their children may have been exposed. The rec center is a popular place for children to play.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending