84
      Wednesday
      94 / 75
      Thursday
      93 / 73
      Friday
      90 / 75

      Buckyballs swallowed by Oregon toddler, originally thought to have flu

      The small, magnetic 'Buckyballs' are not recommended for kids under 13 years old. (Photo: Flickr/Thorius)

      A 3-year-old girl who presented flu-like symptoms was actually found to have swallowed more than three dozen small "Buckyballs," a small magnetic toy, MSNBC reports.

      As originally reported on MSNBC.com, Payton Bushnell, an Oregon toddler, was taken to a doctor by her parents after complaining of flu-like symptoms in late February.

      A chest X-ray, though, revealed that the young girl had swallowed 37 "Buckyballs," which were lodged in her intestines. Buckyballs are advertised as a set of small magnets which can be molded into any shape.

      A warning label on the box cautions that the magnets should not be swallowed since they could stick to a person's intestines. The toy is recommended for children aged 13 and up.

      Meanwhile, MSNBC says that Bushnell is in good condition and is expected to fully recover. In a statement on its website, the maker of Buckyballs, Maxfield & Oberton Holdings, said that the incident "underscores the fact that Buckyballs and Buckycubes are for adults."

      READ MORE at MSNBC.com.