• September 5 - October 31 - Kaleidoscope in Alexandria, Va. - Kaleidoscope is a new initiative meant to encourage visual and performing arts in the city of Alexandria. Exhibitions and events include a quilt show, a kaleidoscope show, plays and performances, and a cocktail competition, Art on the Rocks, on Oct. 26. Visit Kaleidoscope for more information.
• October 4 - 9 - Jamestown settlement ship Godspeed at Alexandria's City Marina - The Godspeed, a re-creation of one of the three ships that brought America's first permanent English colonists to Virginia in 1607, hosts public tours and school field trips in Alexandria until Oct. 9. The ship will be open for free tours from 3-6 p.m. October 4 - 7, from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. on October 8, and from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. on October 9. Visitors will be able to explore the ship and talk with historical interpreters about the 1607 voyage and 17th-century sailing, navigation, and shipboard life.
• October 8 - 9 - Fairfax Festival of the Arts - The inaugural year of this arts festival, sponsored by AAA Mid-Atlantic, in Fairfax Corner will feature over 10,000 pieces of original art for sale, including paintings, sculptures, photography, jewelry, glass, fiber, and ceramics. Runs Saturday from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• October 14 - 16 - Sugarloaf Crafts Festival in Gaithersburg, Md. - More than 250 top artisans will display and sell their unique creations in pottery, sculpture, glass, jewelry, fashion, home décor, furniture, garden items,and photography. The festival will feature top national artists and introduce new and emerging artists. The show also features live music and children's entertainment. Runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
• October 16 - World of Montgomery in Wheaton, Md. - Wheaton Triangle will be filled with music and dance performances by county-based artists, food and craft vendors and a hands-on cultural education area, and a health fair. Local non-profit organizations and county agencies will also be represented. International food will be offered from the Limerick Pub, Los Cobanos, Saigonese Vietnamese Restaurant, Hollywood East, Island Hut, and Global Cafe African Grill. The event is free and runs from 12 - 5 p.m.
• October 22 - 23 - Fall Harvest Family Days at Mount Vernon - Participation in this special event is included in admission to the estate. Wagon rides, wheat treading in the 16-sided barn, 18th-century dancing demonstrations, a straw bale maze, farrier (blacksmithing) demonstrations, apple-roasting, corn husk dolls demonstrations, and early-American games and music. Potomac River sightseeing cruises are half-price during the event. Admission for $15 for adults, $7 for children children ages 6 - 11,and free for children under five.