Langley Elementary School closed Friday after carbon monoxide leak

WASHINGTON (AP) - D.C. Fire and EMS officials say a carbon monoxide leak at an elementary school sent several people to hospitals.

Officials say dozens of students and staffers at Langley Elementary School complained about feeling sick Thursday afternoon. Fire department spokesman Tim Wilson says medics evaluated 76 people outside the school and seven people, including four students, were taken to hospitals in serious condition. He says their injuries were not life-threatening.

Officials say they were exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide gas that apparently leaked from a defective boiler at the school. D.C. school officials say the school will be closed Friday because of the broken broiler and a forecast of near-freezing temperatures.