Paul and Kimberly Brooks charged after son drank methadone
The parents of a five-year-old are facing a string of child abuse and drug charges after police say their son accidentally drank methadone.
On September 4, police received a call from the young boy’s parents saying he accidentally drank the drug an hour before, did not have a pulse and was not breathing.
When police got to the home, the father, 28-year-old Paul Brooks Sr., handed them a bottle of pink liquid he said was methadone. It was later discovered the drug was purchased illegally at the Lexington Market in Baltimore. Brooks told police his son, Paul Jr., drank methadone from a Dixie cup on the ride home from Baltimore. Brooks alleges he called Poison Control, who told him to take Paul to the hospital.
Police also found large quantities of drugs inside the home, including cocaine, marijuana, heroin and methamphetamine. More methadone was also found, including a loaded .357 Magnum and a .22 caliber rifle.
The boy was revived and taken to Baltimore Washington Medical Center.
Brooks and his wife, Kimberly Brooks, also 28, were indicted weeks later on several charges of possession and child abuse charges. No trial date has been set.