Mildred Muhammad, ex-wife of John Allen Muhammad talks D.C. sniper case

The shootings began at 7:41 a.m.

Landscaper Sonny Buchanan was killed as he cut grass along Rockville Pike. Half an hour later Premkumar Walekar was hit by a bullet as he pumped gas in Aspen Hill.

At 8:37 a.m., Sarah Ramos was shot in the head as she sat on a bench in Leisure World Plaza. About and hour and 20 minutes later, Lori Rivera was murdered as she vacuumed a minivan on Connecticut Avenue.

For a while the shootings stopped, but the terror among residents in the D.C. area only rose.

Twenty miles away in Clinton, Md., a woman named Mildred Muhammad saw news of the sniper shootings too.

"I was scared. My spirit told me to stay home. I stayed home," Muhammad recalled.

Twenty days later, police were at her door. They told Mildred her ex-husband, John Allen Muhammad, was the sniper, and he and his accomplice, Lee Boyd Malvo, were after her.

Mildred said, "I knew he was gonna kill me. I knew it was gonna be a head shot."

Police and Mildred believe the sniper shootings were meant to create a distraction, so her murder would appear to be one of many and would not be traced to her ex-husband.

What he wanted was his children back from her. He'd kidnapped them once before. With her gone, they would be his again.

Prior to the visit from police, Mildred said she knew nothing of her ex-husband's involvement.

"Me and my children were just as fearful as everyone else," she explained.

Mildred added the man she once loved changed in the military.

"He was a very likable, enjoyable person to be around, but when he went to Saudi and came back, he was not the same," she added.

She believes he suffered from PTSD.

When it was finally over, John Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo were found sleeping in their blue Chevrolet Caprice at a rest stop near Hagerstown.

John Allen Muhammad and Malvo killed ten people and critically injured three more in the shootings. Muhammad was executed in 2009. Malvo, a juvenile at the time of the killings, was sentenced to six life terms.

In an interview with The Washington Post, Malvo expressed remorse for what he'd done.

"I was a monster...If, if, if I mean, if you look up the definition...I mean, that's what monster is. I was a ghoul...I was a thief...I stole people's lives,” Malvo said.