Former Prince George's Co. officer admits to taking lewd photo of unconscious woman

UPPER MARLBORO, Md. (WJLA) - A former Prince George's County police officer has pleaded guilty to second-degree assault for taking a lewd photo of a woman who was unconscious.

Prince George's County State's Attorney Angela Alsobrooks said that the officer, Christopher Adams, had initially denied taking the lewd photo in question, but later admitted it, and pleaded guilty to the charges in court Wednesday.

The alleged incident took place on St. Patrick's Day, March 17, 2013. Adams reportedly dropped off his wife and the victim at the Aloft hotel at National Harbor, after a night of celebration. His wife and a girlfriend planned to stay the night at the hotel, while Adams returned home.

However, Alsobrooks' office said in a statement that Adams returned to the hotel later that night, using his copy of the hotel key to enter the room. The victim was intoxicated, and said she saw Adams, and then passed out on the bathroom floor.

At one point, the victim said she felt her underwear being tugged to one side, and saw the flash of a light.

The victim told her husband that she believed Adams had moved her underwear and taken a photo of her genital area.

The victim's husband confronted Adams about his wife's claims, and then the victim and her husband filed a police report.

An investigation was initiated and a search warrant was issued for Adams' phone.

"Pictures of the victim's underwear pulled to the side and her genital area exposed and Adams' finger in the shots were found on Adams' phone," Alsobrooks' office's statement said.

Adams initially denied taking the photo, but pleaded guilty to the charges of second-degree assault on Wednesday. He has been sentenced to 10 years in prison, all suspended, plus three years of supervised probation and 150 hours of community service.

"Police officers take an oath to uphold the law and protect citizens from those who would break it," Alsobrooks said. "Unfortunately, Mr. Adams became one of the very people he swore to protect us from."

Adams resigned from the police force last year after the incident occurred.