Enfamil Newborn powder recalled from Wal-Mart stores
COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) — Federal health agencies are testing samples of liquid and powdered infant formula and some distilled water used to prepare the powder by the Missouri parents of a 10-day-old boy who died from an apparent bacterial infection.
Laclede County health director Charla Baker said Thursday it could be several days before the test results are available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Avery Cornett died Sunday night after he was fed Enfamil Newborn powder bought at a Walmart store in Lebanon.
Preliminary results indicate he died of a rare infection caused by Cronobacter sakazakii bacteria.
The store has stopped selling the product, and the company pulled a batch of the infant formula from more than 3,000 of its stores nationwide.
The Lebanon Daily Record reports Avery received a preliminary diagnosis of infection from a rare bacterium called Cronobacter sakazakii.
The formula's manufacturer, Mead Johnson Nutrition, says the batch tested negative for the bacterium. Spokesman Christopher Perille says it's unclear if other companies received formula from that batch.