MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

7 On Your Side: Christmas lights cause house to catch on fire

Tennessee Christmas lights fire

A fire was created overnight Tuesday by a single strand of Christmas lights in Columbia, Tennessee.

Security cameras caught flames over an hour spreading to shrubs and then the house, with Danielle Huckaby and Mary Morrison inside.

"We were sleeping and knowing it was going on for that long it was scary thank God the smoke detectors went off," Huckaby said.

Said Morrison, "You came out here and our guest that was staying with us yelled fire, fire and then you grabbed the fire extinguisher."

The lights were kept on all day, which safety experts advise is not a good idea.

This real fire in Tennessee comes after 7 On Your Side showed on Wednesday how quickly a holiday fire can happen over at the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

"You always hear about it, but you don't think this would happen. I am glad that we're all safe and we still have their home," Huckaby said.

RELATED: 7 On Your Side Alert: Holiday safety at home

Here's some advice:

* Use only lights that have been tested for safety

* Check lights for broken sockets, frayed wires, or loose connections

* Use no more than 3 sets of lights per single extension cord

* Turn off all your holiday lights when you go to bed or not at home

For more great safety tips for your family over the holidays, click here.

Trending